Sunday 5 August 2012

The bright green budgerigar

I have thought about writing this post for a long time now....

since my first week in central Australia.
I hesitate because this involves the death quite a few bright green budgerigars.

I have seen some of the most beautiful bird since arriving in the desert
Red tailed, black Cockatoos, pink Galahs, brightly coloured finches
But there is one bird that seems to glow against the sky.

It has been while driving that I have seen these birds flying in flocks of hundreds
Riding the air currents and turning in mid flight to change direction.

They tend to fly across the road and when a car dives down the road they swoops and the group splits over the car and then they fly on their way.
Unfortunately it seems that the flock can not fly out of the way in time for some cars.

No it was not the car that I was in that hit these beautiful creatures but on a drive back from Alice Springs we stopped the Troop Carrier and hopped out to find almost 20 birds had been hit and were lying in the middle of the dirt road. A very sad event.

You can just see the glow of green hidden in the tree
This is the best photo I have managed to get as the budgerigar's Taking off in flight...not an easy bird to photograph and you really have to see them in flight to really appreciate how wonderful they are.                                                                         
BUT....they have the most amazing green and blue feathers. Jane and I had to collect a few to take home to draw.




 Just a few studies in water colour....

1 comment: