Wednesday 15 August 2012

Chambers Pillar part 1


So last Sunday was spent out bush.....

I have been in Titjikala now for almost 5 weeks and the other day when I was talking to George Summerfield I found myself being told off for not making the time to go out bush. George told me how beautiful the bush around Titjikala and and down to Fink river is and that I had to experience it while I was here.

So on Sunday Jane and I packed up the troop Carrier with billy can, water, tea, milk and sugar.....oh and Kangaroo tail and drove around the community to pick up some of the art centre ladies for a trip down the road. Jane, Marie, Christopher (Marie's grandson) Nora, Emily, Sandra, Hazel and I drove the 40km to Chambers Pillar. The Pillar is a 50m high tower of sandstone, red and yellow, in the middle of a huge reserve. The quiet still landscape around it is just as breath taking as the structure itself.

The land that the art centre stands on and the land between it and Chambers Pillar is the traditional home land of Hazel Ungawanaka. Her family are the traditional owners of this land and so it was very important for her to come on the trip and show me her home.

Now I took so many photos on this little journey and had some wonderful experiences that in order to do it justice I am spreading this story over a few post's.......this one documents the walk I took with Hazel

Chambers pillar in all its glory
I have to apologise for the smudge on the lens but I really liked this photo anyway.

 
Hazel took me on a walk around Chambers Pillar and showed me where to find some bush tucker....bush tomato's. She has a lovely generous spirit and it was such a privilege to walk with her 


The view from the base of Chambers Pillar
Another view as I walked around the base
......and another view. these rocks surround the pillar and they reminded me so much of the ruins of a medieval castle. 
This is looking out towards Fink river....all the way off in the distance

To be continued.....







  

No comments:

Post a Comment