Thursday 26 July 2012

Week One

The end of week one....... 
So my first week in Titjikala has been incredible. I can't remember now what I had been preparing myself for or expecting prior to arriving in this Community of about 200 people, 30 + artists, many children and countless free roaming camp dogs but I doubt I could have expected this over whelming feeling of love for this country. 

I remember visiting central Australia on a school trip when I was in year 11 and feeling so small yet content to be a part of the landscape. It was beautiful then and it is beautiful now (and just as vast).

I have been spending my time getting to know some of the artists, sorting out the ceramics cupboard in the art centre, drawing and going for long, peaceful walks (when I say peaceful I mean no cars, no trains, No industrial noises and most of all no sirens of any kind) listening to the camp dogs playing/fighting. 


I found bisqued tea pots and bowls ready to be decorated with the colours and lines. BUT I also found some Clay pan Clay....this was very exciting as it has a beautiful rich red colour. I have plans for this.

Some Beautiful work in the Gallery at the art centre. The very sensitive and lovely naive picture is by a lady Called Christabella and the the painting of the flowers is done by a very lovely lady called Hazel.

Works waiting to be hung....I love the wire Emu.

The colour of the rocky mountains really does go that wonderful deep purple in the evening. Magical



Just behind the art centre.

    

1 comment: